Send media messages for free with Viber
A chat on Viber is so much more than just a text message. Learn how to use the different message types available on Android, iOS and Desktop.
*Sending media messages uses data. If you are on a limited data plan make sure you are connected to WiFi to avoid charges.
Instant voice messages
Instant video messages
URL (link) messages
Drag and drop - Desktop
Search for and send the perfect GIF from your chat screen.
On your mobile:
1. From the chat you are in, tap on the GIF icon
2. Type in the words that express what you want to say with a GIF
3. Choose and tap on an image from the options available
4. Your GIF will be sent in the chat
1. From your chat, tap on the Chat Extensions icon
2. Choose Giphy or Guggy from the list of extensions at the bottom of the screen
3. Type in your search term
4. Choose the GIF that you like, and it will send directly in the chat
Learn more about Chat Extensions and how to search for content to send in messages here.
Back to top
Handwrite your message or add a doodle to a photo or video.
1. Tap on the more button and scroll down to Doodle
2. Tap on the gallery icon to choose a photo to doodle on
Choose the doodle you want to draw on the blank screen
3. Choose color, brush style or shapes to draw with
4. Tap the send button once you're ready to send your doodle
When you want that little bit of added privacy, send a secret message. A secret message is a photo or video that you can send to expire after a certain period of time. The secret message will appear in your chat screen as a blur.
Secret messages are only available on the mobile app.
Create a secret message
Make a message secret by adding a time bomb to it.
1. Take the photo or video you want to send as a secret message
2. Tap the timer icon at the bottom left of the screen
3. For a photo choose a time limit of 1, 3, 7 or 10 seconds
For a video just tap on the timer icon, and it will only be available for one viewing
4. Tap send
5. Once the message has expired you will see the following message
Viber is a convenient way to send files of up to 200MB quickly and efficiently. You can send files in any chat you are part of, on a mobile or on desktop.
Send a file message:
1. Open the Viber chat you want to send the file in
2. On your phone tap the more button in your chat box and scroll down the options until you find Send file
On Desktop click on the + button
3. Choose the file you wish to send
4. Your file will be sent automatically. This may take a couple of seconds whilst the file downloads
Open a file message:
Each file you send is delivered as its own message.
1. Tap or click on the download button
2. Wait for it to finish downloading
3. Click on the file to open it
The file will be seen on all your Viber devices.
Back to top
Tell your friends where you are, and discover more about your surroundings with a location message.
1. Open a Viber chat
2. Tap on the Chat Extensions button
3. Find the Location button from the list of extensions
4. The first time you open the extension, you will need to Set your location
5. Send your location from the list of locations in your area
This location information is based on your exact location only. No other information is shared with the Chat Extension.
Back to top
Send a link as a message.
1. Find the link you want to send, and copy it
2. Open the Viber chat you want to send the link to
3. In the chat box, type or paste the URL link
4. Hit send
The link and the image it comes with is clickable in both of your chats.
Not seeing an image with your link?
Some websites may not have added an image to this link.
Check your settings to ensure that you haven't set it to Restrict data usage as this will not download the image.
Back to top
Send a file in a Desktop chat just by dragging and dropping it onto the chat screen area. You can even send it to any chat in your chats list without opening them up.
Open up the folder with the file, photo, video or contact information that you want to send. (Please note they have to be supported by Viber for you to be able to send them)
Drag the file you want to send into the middle of your chat screen (not the compose text box) on an open chat
OR drag it over to the contact’s name in the list of contacts at the side of the screen
Drop the file once you can see Drop to send on the screen and it will send automatically
New to drag and drop:
Send your pictures as either a compressed file or in actual size!
When you drop it, you can choose Instant Delivery which will compress your picture and make the file smaller to deliver more quickly to your recipient.
When you’ve received a message that is just too good to keep to yourself, forward your message.
On your phone app:
1. Long tap on the message you want to forward
2. Choose Forward via Viber
3. Choose the contact or group you want to send the message to
On your Desktop app:
On Viber on Desktop forward a message in the way that suits you best.
Click on the forward icon next to the media message itself
Right click on the message and choose Forward
Drag and drop images you want to forward into a new chat on the sidebar
Forwarding multiple messages
1. Right click on a message and click on Forward
2. A checkbox will appear next to each message in the chat
3. Click on the boxes to add up to 25 messages to forward
4. Cancel forwarding messages by clicking on the “x” at the bottom left of your chat screen
5. Send your messages by clicking on the forward button at the bottom right of your chat screen
6. Choose the contact (or contacts) that you want to send the message to and click on Forward and your message will be sent
Forwarding a message to multiple contacts
1. Right click on a message OR click on the forward icon
2. Choose the contacts you want to send the message to (up to 10)
3. Hit Back to cancel forwarding
4. Click on Forward to send
Last Updated -