Secret chats provide an extra level of privacy above a normal chat, including disappearing messages and controls on forwarding messages.
Tap on New secret chat to get started.
Start a secret chat
Set a time limit
Change an existing chat to a secret chat
Secret chats in the chat screen
Secret chat notifications
Send a secret chat from your phone.
1. Open the Chats screen
2. Tap on the compose button
3. Tap New secret chat
4. Add contacts to the chat (can be either a group or 1-on-1 chat)
5. Tap Done and a new secret chat will open
Set a time limit to control how long the message is visible to the recipient. Once this time has ended, the message will disappear entirely without leaving a trace on anyone's phone.
The timer will start once the message is opened.
Use the timer
1. Tap the timer button
2. Set a time-limit from the options
3. Send the message you want to send
4. Watch it disappear without a trace when the timer runs out
Start a secret chat from any existing 1-on-1 chat. This will create a new chat that runs separately to your existing, non-secret chat.
You can't make an existing group chat into a secret chat, but you can start a new group secret chat.
1. Open the existing chat
2. Tap the menu button
3. Choose Open secret chat
4. In the new chat, set the timer and send your disappearing messages
1. Open the Chat info screen
2. Select Open secret chat
3. In the new chat, set the timer and send your disappearing messages
Secret chats are marked with a lock icon. No message content is shown on the chat screen.
A secret message notification will only say Message without a name or content. When you open the message on your screen you will see what's inside.
Back to top
Android phones: If the recipient is using an Android phone they can't take a screenshot.
iPhones: If the recipient is using an iPhone they can take a screenshot, but the sender will receive a notification that a screenshot has been taken.
Back to top
Last Updated -